A large and powerful empire that grew from the city-state of Ubrekt to rule much of the Mainland for almost two millennia, and existed to lesser degrees all the way up to the time of Alexandria. The language of the empire is still the common trading language as well as being the primary written language for both common correspondence as well as most magical and liturgical education across the mainland.
Rise of the Ubrekti Empire
- ~2620 BI - 1440 BI (~1,200 years)
- Gaius consolidates wealth and power in the position of Emperor, and begins a new Ubrekti dynasty. It will, at least in name, rule Ubrekt for the next 1000 years.
- Gaius' wife has a child with an avatar of Brax.
- Gaius raises the demi-demigod child, Hadrian, as his own.
- Gaius' great-grandson, Hemoclus Ubrekt, launches a campaign to conquer of the Halflings. In his final days, he launched a campaign against Cismontania (modern day Odessa), an undertaking completed by his son, Milletus Ubrekt ~2585 BI.
- After Milletus' triumph, almost all of the human lands except for Petara. the Ulan, and the mountains of Celstia are under Ubrekti dominion.
- Over the next century, there are three major succession crises that lead to civil war. The third of these crises was actually triggered by Gnomish intervention. Once Fadstus Ubrekt was securely in control of the Empire, ~2495 BI, he launched a punitive expedition into Gnomish lands.
- The gnomes were slowly but inevitably crushed under the military might of a unified humanity. By ~2470 BI, all of the gnomes' land is under Ubrekti dominion and populated by Ubrekti settlers. The gnomes are driven into the forests, inhospitable hills, and underground burrows of the mainland. While the war with the gnomes technically only lasts a few decades, the gnomes will cause problems for their Ubrekti overlords for the next almost four centuries.
- The next three hundred years are relatively stable. The Ubrekti Empire launches several failed attempts to cross the Heretic Sea and conquer Petara, while gaining dominion over Udrell. There are the inevitable succession crises and civil wars. The Ubrekti Legions fight a guerrilla war against the gnomes. The Dwarves of Gildenhome twice fail in attempts to dislodge the humans from gnomish lands.
- ~2100 BI a third war breaks out with Gildenhome. For unknown reasons, the Elves break their thousands of years of neutrality to side with the humans. Elven magic and human arms visit on Gildenhome one of the few decisive defeats in their long history. The Peace of Three Kingdoms ends the conflict and forces the Dwarves to take in the remaining Gnomish refugees. This occurs in 2112 BI (year 738 of the Ubrekti Calendar).
- The next 600 years, known as the Long Peace, was in truth anything but peaceful. While the three nations did develop an economic "iron triangle" that prevented war, each would often meddle in the affairs of the other. The Ubrekti empire has dozens of succession crises and civil wars, which often became proxy wars for the Elves and Dwarves. Additionally, Ubrekti Monoculture begins to fragment, slowly poisoning the uniting underpinnings of the Empire.
- Uprisings, rebellions, and riots become more and more frequent in the last century-and-a-half of this period features the slow motion decay of the empire.
The Wars of Fracture & Long Decline
- ~1460 BI - 973 BI (~490 Years)
- A huge civil war breaks out in or around 1460 BI, taking close to 15 years to put down. The war is resolved around 1445, leaving the empire majorly indebted and tremendously unstable.
- In 1429, in order to better respond to crises and deal with continuing unrest in Cismontania, Declius Ubrekt gives Julianna Veromii imperial authority over the East. For the next decade, Veromii slowly consolidates her power and support in the East. In 1420 BI, she officially declared herself Empress of the East. After 25 years, and winning the backing of Gildenhome, Julianna forces the Ubrekt to acknowledge her sovereignty over the east. The Empire retains the province of Hakrinal in the far east.
- With the resolution of the First War of Fracture in 1404 BI, the human lands become divided into Eastern and Western Empires, with the east coming to be dominated by the culture and language that became Flannary.
- For the next century, the two empires uneasily coexist. Each staggers under the weight of substantial domestic unrest, however, so no war breaks out.
- The Empire of the East struggles to maintain control of what is know known as Fresia. In 1340 BI, a Dwarven-sponsored uprising that will become known as the Second War of Fracture breaks out in the Eastern Empire. With its resolution in 1285 BI, the Flannary are forced to cede tremendous territory to the new nation of Fresia. Thanks to the Dwarves' influence, and their desire to have a weak and pliable buffer against the Ubrekti, authority in Fresia is made to be tremendously decentralized.
- The Empire in the West struggles to maintain control of Cismontania. In 1204 BI the Third War of Fracture begins, eventually leading to the independence of Odessa in 1152 BI.
- By 1150 FI, the Emperor reigns over a pale shadow of an empire. Over the next hundred and fifty years, the Odessans slowly wrest control of Celestia and Udrell from the Ubrekti.
- In 983, the colony-province of Hakrinal revolts, leading to the Fourth War of Fracture. The Emperor at the time, Draximius Ubrekt, sunk the remaining fortunes of the empire into trying to hold onto the province, warring constantly with Flannary for a decade in the process, leading to his being deposed in a palace coup in 973 FI.
The Kingdom of Peace
- ~970 BI - 30 BI (~950 Years)
- After the execution of Draximius Ubrekt, office of the Emperor was officially abolished. As the Sidhe and Flannari stumbled towards war over the area, priests from both sides reached a compromise. The land would be given and dedicated to the gods, and the priests given leave to create a theocracy. The system that resulted left land ownership in the hands of the Senatorial class, and administrative and executive functions in the hands of the various priesthoods.
- For the next thousand years, "Natalia's Age", Ubrekt is stable and peaceful, never once launching a war or being attacked. It grows into the economic and culture center of the mainland, where all the nations of the world meet to trade and negotiate. While Ubrekti borders will never again expand, the soft power of the theocracy is tremendous.